Working Holiday Subclass 417 Visa

working holiday subclass 417 visaApplications under the Working Holiday subclass 417 visa should be made by first time applicants and those seeking a second working holiday visa from:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Applicants must have turned 18 but not yet have reached 31 at the time of the application.

Where do I apply for an Australian Working Holiday visa?

You can only make an application outside of Australia if you are a first time applicant for the working holiday visa. If you are making a second application this can be made from inside Australia.

What does the Working Holiday visa allow me to do?

The visa allows you to enter Australia and stay for a 12 month duration. Furthermore it allows you work to supplement your funds. Please note you can only work for the same employer for up to 6 months.

Those wishing to undertake studies may do so for up to 4 months.

How long does a Working Holiday subclass 417 visa last?

The visa lasts for a period of 12 months.

When does the working holiday visa get activated?

If you are successful in your application you will need to activate the visa by entering Australia within 12 months. Upon entry the visa is activated and you are able to stay for a period of 12 months.

Do I have to stay in Australia the whole 12 months?

You are free to enter and leave Australia as many times as you like within the 12 months. Please note that time spent out of Australia cannot be used to extend your visa.

Can I extend my working holiday visa?

The Working Holiday subclass 417 visa cannot be extended but an application can be made for a second working holiday visa. Such applications can be made from inside or outside of Australia. In order to apply you must have completed 3 months of specified work in regional Australia within the duration of your first working holiday visa, as well as meet all the normal criteria.

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Age – be over 18 and under 30 at the time of the application.
  • Previous visa – not have entered Australia on a working holiday visa before.
  • Location – applications must be made from outside of Australia.
  • Time frame – applications must be made within 12 months of the intended travel date.
  • Dependants – no dependants are permitted to travel with you.
  • Health requirements – all applicants must meet the health requirements. It is recommended that health insurance is taken out for the duration of the stay in Australia.
  • Character requirements – applicants will need to meet the character and penal criteria.
  • Financial requirements – adequate financial resources need to be proven. This is generally accepted as AUD 5,000 and either a return or onward ticket (or funds to purchase such).
  • Australian Value Statement – the value statement is included in the application and applicants must sign to say they will respect the riles and laws of Australia.

Find out if you qualify for a Working Holiday subclass 417 visa

The first step is a formal assessment which you can apply for here.  This is perhaps the most important step in the process and if done incorrectly, it could mean false hopes, wasted money and perhaps even the loss of the chance to emigrate to Australia.

Who can help you?

Only registered or exempt licensed immigration agents can assist you. You can also access Intergate Emigration’s registered migration agent’s details here on the official Migration Agents Registration Authority website.

Simply put, do not use the services of any agent who does not appear on the MARA website. For those using the services of agents outside of South Africa, you should pay particular attention to ones with a DIPB number. This looks very official and gives you a sense of security – but do not be fooled! Migration agents operating outside Australia do not have to be registered with the Office of the MARA. These unlicensed agents are only issued with an identification number for administrative purposes and it does not represent an endorsement of the agent by the Australian Government.

Getting help

To find out more about the Working Holiday subclass 417 visa and other Australian immigration and visa options, you are welcome to call us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.

Where do you want to go *

Title *

First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Age *

Your highest qualification?

Resident of


Are you in a long term relationship? *


What do you wish to do in New Zealand *

What do you wish to do in Australia *

What is your current occupation for New Zealand *

Years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your current occupation for Australia *

Years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

What is your Partners occupation for New Zealand *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your Partners occupation for Australia *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

Have you had a job offer in New Zealand? *

Have you had a job offer in Australia? *

What family do you have in New Zealand *

What family do you have in Australia *

Comments *