Skilled Sponsored Migrant Worker Subclass 176 Visa

skilled sponsored migrant worker subclass 176 visa

Please note: ​This visa is now closed to new applications​.

The Skilled Sponsored Migrant Worker subclass 176 visa is for applicants that have good English language skills and skills that are in need in Australia.

The Skilled Sponsored Migrant visa is a points based migration system that matches the applicants skills against that of the required need in the Australian work force for skilled and professional labour.

Applicants will need a sponsor either in the form of an eligible relative or a participating state or territory.

Who can apply for this visa?

Applicants for the Skilled Sponsored Migrant Work visa will need to be under 45 years of age and have an occupation as listed on the skills occupation list. All applicants will need to be sponsored by an employer or appropriate relation.

How does the application process work for a Skilled Sponsored Migrant Worker subclass 176  visa?

The Skilled Sponsored Migrant Worker subclass 176 visa is a permanent visa, issued for 5 years. After 5 years the expiry of the visa does not effect your status if you are in Australia. If however you wish to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident, you must apply for a resident return visa. The issuance of this is dependent upon how long the applicant has spent in Australia during the 5 year period.

It is a points based criteria designed help the applicant find employment in a job that matches their skills and is required by the Australian labour market.

What does a skilled migration visa allow you to do?

The visa allows the applicant and any secondary applicants to reside as permanent residents in Australia. Permanent residents are entitled to:

  • Live and work in Australia.
  • Study at a school or university.
  • Sponsor people for permanent residency.
  • Be eligible (according to certain criteria) for Australian Citizenship.
  • Receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
  • Access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods).

What is the points test?

The points test is a way of assessing your application against a number of different criteria. These criteria are awarded certain points that make up your overall total. The different criteria all carry a different weighting that is reflective of how important they are to the Australian labour market and assessing your ability to settle in Australia.

How can I can get my points score?

Getting your point score could not be easier. You are invited to either e-mail us your enquiry, book an eligibility assessment or ring us on any of the above numbers.

How much must I score?

Depending upon the type of visa applied for the pass mark alters;

Category Pass mark Pool mark
Skilled – Independent (subclass 175) 120 100
Skilled – Sponsored (subclass 176) 100 80
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 475) 100 none
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 487) 100 none
Skilled – Independent (subclass 885) 120 none
Skilled – Sponsored (subclass 886) 100 none

Is there other criteria?

  • Australian Social values – if you are aged 18 years or over, you are required to sign an Australian values statement and you are required to have read, or had explained to you, material made available by the government on life in Australia which is contained in the Life in Australia book.
  • You must meet certain health requirements and character requirements.
  • A skills assessment (with a positive result) must be carried out before you lodge your application for this visa. The skills assessment must be performed by the approved assessing body for your nominated skilled occupation.
  • Recent work experience or Australian Study requirement – your application must meet the recent work experience requirement or have met the
  • Australian study requirement in the last six months. To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed:
    • in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
    • for at least 20 hours a week
    • in a paid position
    • for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application.

To meet the Australian Study Requirement, you must have completed in no less than 16 calendar months either a single qualification requiring at least two academic years study or more than one qualification resulting in a total period of at least two (2) academic years study.

What about dependents?

When applying for a Skilled Sponsored Migrant Worker subclass 176 visa you can include your children and also any other dependent relatives. Depending upon their age they must meet the health, character and Australian Values statement criteria.

Getting advice

Your journey begins with an assessment, before you get your hopes up and spend considerable sums of money. The assessment will tell you whether Australia is even an option for you and if so which options and costs are involved.

Where you to go for your assessment and advice is clearly defined by the Australian Government. Agents in Australia must be licensed agents or exempt. For many reading this, the preference for obvious reasons will be to enlist the services of an agent in your home country. In doing so, we urge you to take care. There are too many stories of agents’ taking large suns of money under false pretences and avoiding this should be of paramount importance to you.

Simply put, only use agents that are correctly licensed. You can search for these here on the Migration Authority’s Website. Further beware of agents with DIBP numbers. A DIBP number does not mean an agent is registered – they are given this number purely for admin purposes.

You can also view our licensed immigration agent’s, Katrin Maja Maehl, registration here.

Contacting Intergate Emigration

You can order your assessment here or should you wish to get more details on Intergate and our process, feel free to call us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.

Where do you want to go *

Title *

First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Age *

Your highest qualification?

Resident of


Are you in a long term relationship? *


What do you wish to do in New Zealand *

What do you wish to do in Australia *

What is your current occupation for New Zealand *

Years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your current occupation for Australia *

Years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

What is your Partners occupation for New Zealand *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your Partners occupation for Australia *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

Have you had a job offer in New Zealand? *

Have you had a job offer in Australia? *

What family do you have in New Zealand *

What family do you have in Australia *

Comments *