The Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) is available to applicants who have lived and worked in specific areas of regional Australia. Applicants must have lived in the area for 2 years and worked their for one year.
What the Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) allows you to do
As the Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) is a permanent residence visa, it allows you and your family to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely, as well as work and study.
- Enroll in Medicare.
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.
The requirements to apply
Applicants must be in Australia and meet the ‘lived and worked in’ requirements when they apply. They must also already hold one of the following visas:
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489).
- Skilled Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495).
- Skilled Designated Area Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 496).
- Skilled Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475 or 487).
The normal health and good character requirements also apply.
Getting assistance with a Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887)
The first point to note is that only licensed immigration agents or those exempt can provide you with advice that is backed up by the Migration Agents Authority. As such, you should only deal with those agents on their website. Intergate Emigration have a fully licensed advisor – Katrin Maja Maehl. You can view her details on the official Migration Agents Authority website here.
Also beware of ‘agents’ not based in Australia with DIBP numbers. These numbers may look official but are only issued for purposes of administration and does not mean that the agent is qualified or licensed by MARA.
Contacting Intergate Emigration
To find out more about the New South Wales Skilled Nomination Program as well as other Australian immigration and visa options, you are welcome to call us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.