Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is a 4-year provisional visa (temporary residency). It permits applications from those individuals who are:

  • sponsored by an eligible relative who would normally be a resident in a designated area in Australia; or
  • nominated by a state or territory government.

There are two pathways for this visa class:

  1. The Invited Pathway.
  2. The Extended Stay Pathway.

Who can apply for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)?Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

The following criteria must be met in order for an application to be made:

  • You have been nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government Agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area.
  • You have been nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list.
  • You have a score of at least 65 in a skills assessment for the nominated occupation.
  • You are under the age of 45.
  • You have competent English.

Applications are also considered from those who hold provisional visas in subclass 496, 495, 487 or 475 under the extended pathway scheme.

What this visa allows you to do

The Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa allows you and your family to:

  • Stay in Australia for a period of up to four years.
  • Live, work and study in the specified regional area of Australia.
  • Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.

Holders of the The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) may also use this as a path to gaining permanent residency visa the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887).

Sponsorship by a relative

The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) permits sponsorship by certain relatives and under certain conditions:

  • The sponsor must be at least 18 years of age.
  • They must live in in a designated area of Australia.
  • They are either an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Sponsorship is allowed where the applicant is related by one of the below:

  • Child or stepchild.
  • Parent or step-parent.
  • Brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle.
  • Grandparent or first cousin.

Nomination by a state or territory

As the migrati0n rules allow each state or territory to legislate to their own immigration needs, nomination by a state is permitted. The state or territory will have its own list of occupations (via a skill shortage list) as well as their own criteria and processes. That said, all Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) will be processed through SkillSelect.

Each state has a different process, with some selecting from your expression of interest and others inviting you to apply direct for nomination.

Getting help with your Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

Intergate Emigration has a licensed immigration agent – Katrin Maja Maehl. You can view her details on the official Migration Agents Authority website here.

You should only deal with licensed immigration agents and must also take care of ‘agents’ outside of Australia with an Australian DIBP Offshore ID. This looks very official and gives you a sense of security – do not be fooled! Migration agents operating outside Australia do not have to be registered with the Office of the MARA. The department issues ‘offshore agents’ with an identification number for administrative purposes only.

In short, if an agent does not appear as licensed immigration agent on the MARA website, do not enlist their services.

Contacting Intergate Emigration

To find out more about the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) as well as other Australian immigration and visa options, you are welcome to call us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.

Where do you want to go *

Title *

First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Age *

Your highest qualification?

Resident of


Are you in a long term relationship? *


What do you wish to do in New Zealand *

What do you wish to do in Australia *

What is your current occupation for New Zealand *

Years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your current occupation for Australia *

Years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

What is your Partners occupation for New Zealand *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your Partners occupation for Australia *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

Have you had a job offer in New Zealand? *

Have you had a job offer in Australia? *

What family do you have in New Zealand *

What family do you have in Australia *

Comments *