Skilled Nomination Visa (190)

The Skilled Nomination Visa (190) for Australian immigration is part of the General Skilled Migration category and is the subclass 190.

Who should read the information below

Prospective migrants who are interested in being nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government Agency for a Skilled Nomination Visa (190).

About the Skilled Nomination Visa (190)skilled nomination visa (190)

The skilled nomination visa (190) is a points-based visa for individuals who:

  • have an occupation that is in demand in a particular state or territory
  • possibly do not qualify for a skilled independent visa;
  • who wish to work and live in Australia permanently.

What the Skilled Nomination Visa (190) allows you to do

As a permanent residency visa, the Skilled Nomination Visa allows you and any family members to:

  • Remain in Australia for an indefinite period of time.
  • Travel for a period of 5 years after the visa has been granted, to and from Australia.
  • Enroll in Australia’s Medicare scheme.
  • Work and/or study in Australia.
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, where eligible.
  • Sponsor eligible relatives with their own applications for permanent residency.

Important points to note

In order to qualify for a skilled nomination visa (190), you must meet these basic criteria:

  • Be under the age of 45.
  • Possess at least competent English.
  • You have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency.
  • You are in an occupation that is on the skill shortage list for that particular state.

There are a number of other considerations, but if you do not meet the criteria above, your application will not be successful.

How to get nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government Agency

State and Territory governments are able to nominate individuals who have an occupation that is in demand in their particular state or territory.

Note : It is not a requirement for an applicant to be nominated by a state or territory government before they lodge their Expression of Interest under SkillSelect. Once nomination is obtained, the person can simply update their details in the Expression of Interest to nominate a particular state or territory. This will increase the chances of you receiving an invitation to apply for a skilled nomination visa subclass 190 visa.

How to find out what occupations may be nominated by a state or territory government

These occupations are found in lists which are usually called State and Territory Migration Plans. Or you can contact us for an assessment to explore all your options.

How long is a nomination valid for?

Typically a nomination is valid for a period of two to four months, but it can be extended by the relevant state or territory.

How to find out what the application process is for states or territory nomination

Each state or territory has a different application process and its own skill shortage list. The following links provide further information:

As an example, New South Wales (NSW) make their selection from the skill select process after you have submitted an expression of interest, indicating your willingness to reside and work in NSW for a period of at least 2 years.

Please note that even if you do receive a nomination from a state or territory government, it does not mean you will be granted a skilled nomination visa. You will still need to be assessed against the specific visa requirements.

When does nomination happen?

Nomination normally happens during the SkillSelect process where you expresses your interest in being nominated by a state or territory. However, individual states and territories do change their processes from time to time and you should review the guidelines for the state or territory you’re interested in.

The Skilled Nomination Visa (190) application process

The application process differs between states and territories. It is important to nominate a state or territory in your Expression of Interest and to make your preference known during the assessment stage.

Why you should get assistance

It is no exaggeration to say that the immigration options to Australia can be confusing and hard to understand. There are national schemes, subclasses, state and territory nominated schemes, employer nominated schemes – the list goes on.

If you are serious about immigration to Australia you do not want to miss out on any of the options that may be available to you. The reality is, a fully licensed immigration agent can only increase your chances of success.

Who can help you?

We urge you to exercise caution. Firstly, the law is very clear that Australian based immigration agents must be licensed with the Migration Agents Registration Authority. It is against the law for anyone other than this (unless classified as exempt) to provide you with advice.

If you are searching for a professional to assist you in your home country, once again the sensible thing to do, is to only use a licensed immigration agent. You may well find agents who even have a Australian DIBP Offshore ID. This looks very official and gives you a sense of security  – do not be fooled!

Migration agents operating outside Australia do not have to be registered with the Office of the MARA. The department may issue offshore agents with an identification number for administrative purposes only. This number does not mean the agent is registered and it does not represent endorsement by the Australian Government. In short, in using a company or individual with a DIBP offshore ID you are not dealing with a registered agent and the agent is not backed  by the MARA.

Getting the process started

Hundreds of thousands of prospective immigrants to Australia express interest each year. Unfortunately many are left disappointed as they do not qualify. The first step is thus completing a comprehensive and thorough assessment.

This approach minimizes your risk, both financially and emotionally.

Once the assessment has been completed, you will be in a position to know whether immigration to Australia is an option. This will then enable you to make a decision on whether to proceed based on hard facts.

You can order your assessment here or feel free to contact us for more information on the Skilled Nominated Visa (190) and our approach to immigration either by calling us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mailing us here.

Where do you want to go *

Title *

First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Age *

Your highest qualification?

Resident of


Are you in a long term relationship? *


What do you wish to do in New Zealand *

What do you wish to do in Australia *

What is your current occupation for New Zealand *

Years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your current occupation for Australia *

Years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

What is your Partners occupation for New Zealand *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your Partners occupation for Australia *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

Have you had a job offer in New Zealand? *

Have you had a job offer in Australia? *

What family do you have in New Zealand *

What family do you have in Australia *

Comments *