Investor (Provisional) Subclass 162 Visa

Please note: ​This visa is now closed to new applications​.

The Iinvestor provisional subclass 162 visanvestor (Provisional) subclass 162 visa allows for investor applicants under the age of 45 who have a successful business or investment career and wish to invest or be involved in an Australian business.

How do Investor Visas work?

The Investor (Provisional) subclass 162 visa is a temporary visa that is issued for a period of 4 years. The visa does offer a gateway towards permanent residency and after a minimum of 2 years (although it may take longer) you may be eligible to apply for permanent business skills visa.

Migrant investors need to be prepared to invest funds into a designated investment within Australia for a period of 4 years.

What does an Investor (Provisional) subclass 162 allow me to do?

Upon granting of this visa the applicant would be entitled to:

  • Make a designated investment.
  • Travel in and out of Australia any number of times as long as the visa is valid.
  • Have family accompany them to Australia – they will have access to work and study rights.
  • Provide for pathway to permanent residence.

 Criteria for an Investor (Provisional) subclass 162 visa

Applicants must meet requirements in the following fields:

  • Age – under 45.
  • Be able to invest AUD 1,500,000 into a designated investment within a reasonable period of time.
  • State/Territory notification – notified the appropriate state or territory.
  • Have a vocational level of English – either as a native speaker, a NAATI accreditation or scoring at least 5 from 9 in the 4 areas of an IELTS test.
  • Or at least one of the previous 5 fiscal years have either hold an investment worth in excess of AUD 1,500,000 or 10% shareholding and had direct involvement in the managing of said business.
  • Prove successful business experience and direct involvement for at least 3 years in a qualifying business.
  • Not have participated in improper business activities.
  • Are committed to do business in Australia.
  • Demonstrate net Assets of at least AUD2,250,000 for the two fiscal years immediately before you apply.
  • Meet the health requirements.
  • Be of good character.
  • All applicants over the age of 18 need to sign and agree to the Australian Values Statement. Prior to signing applicants for this visa are required to have read, or had explained to them, material made available by the government on life in Australia which is contained in the Life in Australia book.

Getting advice

Your journey begins with an assessment, before you get your hopes up and spend considerable sums of money. The assessment will tell you whether Australia is even an option for you and if so which options and costs are involved.

Where you to go for your assessment and advice is clearly defined by the Australian Government. Agents in Australia must be licensed agents or exempt. For many reading this, the preference for obvious reasons will be to enlist the services of an agent in your home country. In doing so, we urge you to take care. There are too many stories of agents’ taking large suns of money under false pretences and avoiding this should be of paramount importance to you.

Simply put, only use agents that are correctly licensed. You can search for these here on the Migration Authority’s Website. Further beware of agents with DIBP numbers. A DIBP number does not mean an agent is registered – they are given this number purely for admin purposes.

You can also view our licensed immigration agent’s, Katrin Maja Maehl, registration here.

Contacting Intergate Emigration

You can order your assessment here or should you wish to get more details on Intergate and our process, feel free to call us on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.

Where do you want to go *

Title *

First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Age *

Your highest qualification?

Resident of


Are you in a long term relationship? *


What do you wish to do in New Zealand *

What do you wish to do in Australia *

What is your current occupation for New Zealand *

Years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your current occupation for Australia *

Years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

What is your Partners occupation for New Zealand *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for New Zealand *

What is your Partners occupation for Australia *

Partners years of work experience in this occupation for Australia *

Have you had a job offer in New Zealand? *

Have you had a job offer in Australia? *

What family do you have in New Zealand *

What family do you have in Australia *

Comments *