If you have a job offer from an Australian employer or are seeking one, then the information below on Employer Sponsored Visas will be applicable to you. Note that to be successful for any of the Employer Sponsored Visas, you will be have to under 50 years of age (some exceptions do apply).
There are two potential employer sponsored categories:
1. The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) subclass 186
This subclass can be used to assist employers anywhere in Australia and provides the successful applicant with permanent residency.
2. The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) subclass 187
This subclass can only be used by employers who are in regional or low population areas in Australia and also gives successful applicants permanent residency.
The Three Employer Sponsored Visa Streams
ENS and RSMS are each made up of three streams:
- The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream – for existing subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for the same employer for 2 years in Australia.
- The Direct Entry (DE) stream – for some skilled foreign workers who do not meet the requirements of the TRT stream. This can include high income earners and some New Zealanders.
- The Labour Agreement (‘Agreement’) stream – for individuals sponsored under a labour agreement or Regional Migration Agreement which has been specially negotiated with the Department.
The application process for an Employer Sponsored Visa
The process of applying for an Employer Sponsored Visa comprises of two parts. Firstly the nomination by the employer, followed by the actual visa application by the individual being nominated.
Note that Direct Entry nominations under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme have an additional step as they need to be assessed and approved by the Department.
Intergate Emigration are licensed immigration advisors for Australia. We welcome your enquiry concerning Employer Sponsored Visas and other immigration options. We can be contacted on + 27 (0) 21 202 2800 or e-mail us here.
For information on family member eligibility, click here.